Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanks Giving

Today is Thanksgiving, and as it is that time of the year to reflect on one's life, and to give thanks to whatever deity or deities one believes in for the positive things in life. In spite of the gluttonous tones of the holiday, I think it's a time to really think about the things in my life for which I have good reason to be thankful.

For me, the past year has been a relatively quiet one, and in my life, quiet is good. I have a good job, my health is pretty good (I'm not on lifelong medicines yet), I have a nice place to live, healthy pets, my car runs, I have plenty to eat, nobody close to me is dead, I haven't gone to jail, no traffic tickets, even....

And, best of all, I have GREAT friends.

They say a man who has good friends is a rich man, indeed. I agree. Your true friends are the ones who will bail you out of jail or loan you money. I know, because I am fortunate to have such friends. The ones who still talk to you when the world has kicked you in the teeth for whatever reason. They're the ones who will pay your rent when you've lost your job, or throw a benefit barbeque for you because you broke your leg. They're the ones who are always there to help you pick yourself up when life has thrown you a curveball.

They're also the ones who will give you a year's supply of canned tunafish and a shotgun because you were worried about surviving a hurricane Katrina situation! A very rich woman, indeed, am I to have such friends! You can always lose your "stuff" in an unanticipated disaster...fire, flood, acts of God, but stuff can be replaced. You can buy another television, or living room furniture, but friends like these cannot ever be replaced. They are a lifeline....a support system that keeps you in touch with sanity.

During this time of giving thanks, I give thanks for the family that I've built for myself. People who don't have an obligation to me by blood, but by choice. People that I choose to love, and love them I do. That's the best kind of family. The family that, regardless of blood ties, chooses to love each other.

1 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

i love your last paragraph.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home